A Week in my Life: My Last Semester of College

My freshman year of college, I wrote a blog post documenting a typical week in my life. This is something I really wish I had done every semester, because I love looking back and seeing how different life is and how quickly everything changes. I’m now halfway through my LAST semester of college, so I wanted to document what life is like right now.

Monday, October 5, 2020

Monday morning, I got up early, fed my cat, Octavia, half a can of wet food, then went back to sleep until 7:15am. Then I got up and quickly got ready for my 8:00am class. I drove to school listening to Taylor Swift’s Red album, because it is autumn.

I had my first class of the day, Introduction to English Linguistics, where I took a test. I should have studied more. That is all I will say.

I had a little extra time before my next class, so I walked across campus to the Registrar office to pick up a very exciting package which reminded me that I only have 8 WEEKS left of my undergraduate career.

Then at 9:00am I had my American Literature 2 class. We talked about American poetry and other fun stuff.

I then had a two hour break between classes, which I usually use to get some work done. This day, however, I drove to the public library to return some library books and pick up some new ones. I found a few in stock that I’m super excited about and took a well-lit bathroom selfie.

On my way back to campus, I was hungry (I hadn’t eaten breakfast and we can’t eat in class anymore because of masks) and had exactly $3 in my wallet, so I swung through the Sonic drive-through and got tater tots. Don’t judge me, I only eat some form of potatoes about five days a week.

I got to campus with some time to spare, so I started one of my new library books. Then at noon I had my Communication Law class, where we’re discussing defamation and libel suits. I’m not completely sure why this class is required for my mass communication and public relations degrees, but I do find everything interesting and am enjoying the class!

When I got home, I was super excited to see that my new shoes had arrived (and that none of my sketchy neighbors stolen them)! I put them on, looked up a quick YouTube video on how they work, then tested them outside on my porch. I’ve wanted Heelys since I was a kid, and I realized a few weeks ago that I am an adult who can make my own decisions now, so I impulsively bought them. I’m not great at them (they are NOT just like roller skates) so I have some practice to do, but I’m excited to be zooming around campus soon.

I had a few hours until my next commitment, so I worked on finishing up reading Claire of the Sea Light for book club. Our virtual meeting was at 5:30pm and it was a ton of fun discussing the book, characters, and plot with my fellow club members! After the meeting was done, I stayed on the call with a couple other Sigma Tau Delta officers to talk about upcoming events, as well as to play around with funny backgrounds and settings.

I should have used the rest of my night to get ahead on homework, but I was too hooked on one of my library books to do that. So instead, I baked some homemade French fries and curled up on the couch with Octavia. I finished the book by the end of the night and went to bed late but satisfied.

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Tuesdays and Thursdays this semester are rough, I’m not gonna lie. Tuesday started out at 8:00am with my morning yoga class, which was over Zoom. When I took this class last year, before covid, the whole class could fit into a small studio in the gym. This year, however, we hold class outside so we can social distance, which means on cold mornings, we stay inside our own homes and do class online. Today, however, my professor was having issues with her WiFi, so we just chatted about the final and got out early. I took advantage of the extra time and started a new book before heading to campus for my internship.

I worked at the Missouri Small Business Development Center (SBDC) last year, but this semester I’m doing it for a writing internship credit. I worked 9:30-noon, then had a 30 minute lunch break. The weather was perfect, so I went down by the pond on campus and read on a bench while eating a large, “healthy” vegan cookie for lunch.

After my break, I went back to my internship from 12:30 to 3:00pm. I worked on creating content for National Women’s Small Business Month. I designed graphics on Canva and wrote captions for Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

After work, I ran home to change into my next job’s uniform. I threw something together for dinner and gave Octavia as much attention as I could before heading to Panera to work my 4:30-9:30pm shift. I was on bakery/cash register all night, and it wasn’t super busy, so it was enjoyable! I made smoothies, took orders, and sliced bagels all night long. When we close, we donate all leftover pastries and bread to various non-profits, and since we had so many baguettes left over, I was able to take one home for free. This is one of my favorite parts about my job, by far.

At home, I ate some of that baguette with vegan butter while scrolling through TikTok. I then read for a little bit. I took this picture of Octavia on my lap, which cracks me up because she looks so thicc.

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Wednesday morning I had two classes (linguistics and American literature). During my two hour break, I went to the library where I spent some time working on homework, eating pretzel sticks, and looking at seasonal jobs for next year.

Then I had my last class of the day, comm Law. Three minutes before class was supposed to start, I was still the only one in the classroom and I was low-key worried class had been cancelled, but people showed up eventually. We continued talking about defamation and our paper that’s due next week.

After class, I went to Walmart to get some groceries for the coming week. While there, I found a cute beanie in the men’s section, so I bought it and made Octavia take a picture with me when I got home. I hated beanies when I had hair, but now that I’m bald, I’m becoming obsessed with them and I can’t wait to wear them more often!

I ate lunch while watching Lucas Cruikshank videos on YouTube, then gave Octavia her monthly flea and tick medicine, which she despises. She wouldn’t even eat a treat out of my hand after I gave it to her. She’s a drama queen.

Then I spent some time washing dishes while jamming to music. After that, I got a few small assignments done. Then I realized how early the sun sets now and quickly left my apartment so I’d have time to roller skate before it got dark. I went to one of my favorite trails and skated while listening to music, just vibing. I tried to get some cute photos of me on my skates since it was golden hour but couldn’t get anything good so I gave up and posed how I was feeling.

Back at home, I heated up some soup and buttered my baguette in preparation for the Vice Presidential debate. It was entertaining at times, frustrating at others, and overall a little scary thinking about what the future holds. At least I had Octavia there to keep me company.

After the debate, I watched TikTok videos for 30 or so minutes before getting ready for bed and reading until I was too tired to keep my eyes open.

Thursday, October 8, 2020

On Thursday morning, I got up early enough to take my yoga final online at 8:00am. Then, I ate breakfast while watching Disney+ and got ready for a busy day.

I didn’t have to be on campus for my internship until 9:30, so I took the opportunity to roller skate some. I love skating in the morning when the weather is nice and there’s no one around. The park I was at also looks so beautiful with all the red and orange leaves on the ground. It was the perfect way to start my day.

On campus, I worked at the SBDC office from 9:30 to noon, had a short break, then worked 12:30 to 3:00. During my break, I sat outside on campus and ate pretzel sticks and enjoying the beautiful fall weather. I was feeling good so I took a ton of selfies that day.

When I got off work, I rushed home, changed into my Panera uniform, ate dinner, then drove back into town. I worked at Panera from 4:30-9:30, this time in the dining room. Dining room isn’t my favorite shift, but Jaycee was working that night too, so at least I got to talk and work with her!

When I got off work, I went home, ate a late-night snack, and chilled for a while. I ended up reading for too long and stayed up way too late, but in my defense, how could someone sleep with such an adorable cat at the end of the bed?

Friday, October 9, 2020

Friday morning, I woke up exhausted. I was about to get up for class when I remembered that my linguistics professor had cancelled class that morning, meaning I had no classes on Friday. I slept in, then got up and tried to be productive. I did some yoga, cooked my favorite lentil pasta for lunch, and washed dishes while it cooked. Then I settled on the couch and ate while watching Star Wars Rebels, one of my favorite shows.

My afternoon was pretty uneventful. I just worked on homework most of the day except for when I took a short break to roller skate on my porch. I worked on a new dance-skate move for a while before heading inside to get ready for work.

I worked at Panera from 4:00pm to 9:00pm. It was a pretty easy shift, not too busy or crazy. When I got off, I drove home and ate two blueberry bagels while watching TikTok videos and chilling with Octavia. I ended the night by reading until I got too sleepy.

Saturday, October 10, 2020

Another day, more of the same old stuff! I woke up and did some yoga before cleaning up around my apartment some. Then I worked on homework and finished my comm law defamation paper. I ate lunch (more pasta) while watching Star Wars Rebels, then worked on some more work for a while. Octavia kept me company.

I had some time to get some skating in on my porch, so I listened to Little Mix’s new song, Not a Pop Song, on repeat while working on my jam skating moves. I was sweating by the end of it!

Then I had a shift at Panera from 5:00pm to 9:00pm. It was a very slow night, which meant I was able to get a lot of my closing duties done before we closed and got out of there faster than normal. Then I went home and ate some free bread while finishing my book.

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Sunday morning, I got up early and got dressed for a good day! I was loving my outfit and had to get a photo of it.

I drove two hours back home (listening to my current music obsession, COIN) to see my parents. They were still at church when I got there, so I got to hang out with two of my favorite cats while watching season 7 of The 100, which is finally on Netflix. Rumple is just as fat as the last time I saw him a couple months ago, and Ollie is just as evil (but adorable) (and much bigger) (he isn’t a baby anymore).

Once my parents got home, I ate some lunch and then we headed out to the river! We kayaked for an hour and a half, enjoying the last warm weekend of the year and each other’s company!

After getting the kayaks back home, Mom and I swung by the grocery store and then hung out at the house for a little bit. Then I headed to the park to roller skate for a little bit. I saw some other girls roller skating at the tennis courts, which was fun. I tried working on Snake, which is much more difficult than I thought it would be. I got the movement down for my back leg but still need to work on the front leg (and putting the two together). I skated for about an hour until the sun went down. Then I headed to where my parents were having small group to hang out with everyone for a little bit. I cuddled a dog while there.

I left life group when I got hungry and went back to the house to eat dinner and some vegan ice cream while watching Star Wars Rebels (do you sense a pattern here?). I also got to play with Rumple and Ollie some more before heading to sleep. Because this week is fall break, I didn’t have to be on campus the next day and was able to spend the night with my parents and drive back in the morning for work.

This was a good week! I wasn’t able to hang out with any friends because of conflicting schedules, but I got a lot of homework done, got to skate quite a bit, and spent time with family! It’s so wild to think that life will only be like this for a few more weeks. I’m determined to enjoy every moment!

9 thoughts on “A Week in my Life: My Last Semester of College

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s