A Week in the Life of a College Student at MSSU

It’s been hitting me pretty hard lately how the end of the semester coming up means the end of this chapter of my life. Don’t get me wrong, I am very excited for the summer and next semester and everything exciting I have coming up, but I’m getting sentimental about closing this door and things never being the same again. I thought it would be fun to document what an average week in my life is like, as well as share it for those of you who are curious!

Monday, April 24

The past couple weeks, I’ve started a new morning routine that’s been working really well for me! I wake up at 6 AM (after hitting snooze maybe once or twice) and spend 10-20 minutes doing yoga! Then I read my Bible, take a shower, and get ready for the day! I go to the dining hall most mornings for breakfast, and at 7:40 I head to class. Shane and I spend this time talking on the phone as I walk, and then we say goodbye so I can go into my classroom!

Monday morning, however, I felt very tired and kind of sick when I woke up, so I slept in, didn’t do yoga, and just ate some granola bars on my way to class. I had psychology at 8:00 a.m. We finished up one section and started talking about personality! After class, I walked to my favorite building on campus, Webster Hall, and sat up in the third floor under the glass ceiling. This is my favorite spot to just sit and work on stuff between my 8:00 and 10:00 classes. I went over my note-cards for my group presentation I had in a couple hours and I like to think I usually work on other homework, but this time I just did stuff on my phone because I couldn’t focus on anything.

At 10 a.m. I had newswriting, where we discussed the future of our school newspaper and budget-cuts for next semester. At 11 a.m., it was the moment I’ve been worried about since the beginning of the semester: my interpersonal communication workshop group project presentation (man that’s a mouthful). I was dressed in business casual and was getting super nervous. My group presented on improving nonverbal communication in the workplace. It took 45 minutes to complete our presentation, and I was so relieved when it was done. I changed into jeans and a tee-shirt (goodbye business casual) and ate a grilled cheese sandwich in the dining hall to celebrate.


After lunch, I worked on reading my literature book. I had to have 30 pages read by Tuesday for class. At 2:00 p.m. I had band, where I played my French horn of course. Band got out at 3:30, so I walked back to my dorm talking to Shane on the phone, dropped my horn off in my room, then walked back to Webster. We were having a work day for the fine arts magazine on campus that I’m working on this semester, called Vivid. I’ve never used the design program we have, so I just watched my friend Shelby mess around with designing a page before I decided to jump in and try it myself. I worked on the table of contents and the second page, and I’m pretty proud of myself for how much I was able to figure out and get done.


After eating dinner in the dining hall (the food is getting grosser and I’m not sure how much longer I can survive eating stale fries and cereal), I had small group! We meet in another room in my dorm building, so I went there right after dinner. We talked about how to study the Bible and had a really good discussion, as well as told stories about our weeks and freaked out that we only have two weeks of classes left. Then I spent the rest of the night reading my literature book and doing history homework! I winded down by doing some pre-bedtime yoga since I skipped out on it that morning, and it helped me relax and fall asleep really fast.

Tuesday, April 25

I woke up feeling good enough to do my usual morning routine, so yay yoga! I had history at 8 a.m. which lasts 75 whole minutes, sometimes 78 minutes. I like 8 a.m. classes but this one always seems to drag on. We were talking about some of the things that slowly started leading to the civil war. Then I speed walked to my next class which is across campus. Luckily, the weather was SO nice so I was able to enjoy the walk and obsess over how green the grass is before I eventually made it to Kuhn, thankfully before I was late to my literature class.

We talked about Fredrick Douglass and the significance of the title of his autobiography, among other things. I enjoyed the pleasant walk back to my dorm, then spent some time packing up some stuff in my room that I planned on taking home that weekend (so moving out would be easier in three weeks).

I usually don’t like walking all the way to the Lions Den to eat, but since the weather was so nice, I decided to do it. I got Pizza Hut (personal pan pizza for the win) and sat with some friends for about an hour, laughing and talking about classes, the Marvel movies coming out this year, and next semester.


My friend Mikaylin and I walked back to our dorm building (after almost getting attacked by birds who built their nests above our heads in the tunnel on campus), and after spending a little time in my room doing homework, my friend Maddy (who was my roommate last semester) picked me up and we met Megan (our suitemate and my current roommate) at Orange Leaf! Megan and I haven’t seen Maddy much since last semester, so we spent an hour eating frozen yogurt and catching up! Then we went to Maddy’s house and we all worked on homework together (and may or may not have watched Dirty Dancing, which was playing on the TV)!

My night ended with me spending a couple hours working on a history paper and getting about halfway done with it!

Wednesday, April 26

Another day, another morning of yoga, reading my Bible, and eating breakfast in the dining hall! Every morning, I check the weather so I know what kind of clothes to wear for the day, and lately, almost every morning there has been a big chance of rain. I always wear my rain boots on these days, and of course it never rains. So this morning, I saw the chance for rain and still wore my off-brand Target-Keds, which are more comfortable. To my disappointment, of course it was very wet and cold all day today, so my shoes were very wet by the time I got to my psychology class. We talked more about personality (Freud’s theories about psychosexual stuff is freaking weird), and then I had to walk to Webster without an umbrella. Luckily I know my way around campus pretty well so I cut through the theatre/music/art buildings to avoid being outside much. Upstairs on the third floor in my favorite spot, I tried to read my next literature assignment but I could NOT focus (sometimes English is hard) so I only got through like 5 pages. It doesn’t help that the story we’re reading now is in old English so it’s hard to understand as it is.


During newswriting, Shelby and I went to the Vivid (fine arts magazine) room and worked on editing some more pages! During interpersonal communications, I got to relax and watch another group present because my group was smart and went on the first day! After talking to Shelby and Leah in the hallway for twenty minutes about our presentation (the three of us got a 90%!!), I trudged back through the rain back to my dorm. Thankfully Shelby is awesome and let me borrow her umbrella so I didn’t die.


I ate lunch in the dining hall (after changing into my rain boots) with a couple friends, then went grocery shopping at Walmart! I only got a few basic things to last me the last couple weeks of the semester, then headed home and ate my burrito/Doritio dinner while watching DCP vlogs on YouTube. After much procrastination, I finished and submitted my 5-page History paper and I’m honestly just hoping for the best. The night was rough because my anxiety got really bad for no particular reason and I had an anxiety attack. I was freaking out and couldn’t do anything about it and felt like everything was crashing around me so I eventually went to bed.

Thursday, April 27

I skipped yoga this morning again because my brain was so tired, so I slept in a little. After showering and reading my Bible, I went to the dining hall and ate breakfast, then walked to class talking to Shane on the phone. My history professor gave us a lot of information today, it felt like he was running a marathon compared to how much we usually cover in a class period.

My literature professor let us out a little early today because she was going to her mom’s house for the weekend XD. I walked back to my dorm and spent 20 minutes doing yoga with a “yoga for anxiety” video I found on YouTube, and that helped my brain calm down a lot. I did a load of laundry while I ate lunch in the dining hall, then went to the Vivid room while my clothes dried to help Shelby with designing some more stuff. I designed another set of pages for a story that isn’t completely written yet, then got my clothes from the dryer on my way back to my dorm.

My anxiety was still rough, so I decided to take a nap for an hour. Once Shane got out of school, I talked to him on the phone, then worked on homework some before getting ready for work (I work at On the Border as a food runner) and eating some pizza rolls for an early dinner.

I worked at 5:30 p.m. and was out of there by 9. It was a short shift but I worked really hard and felt like I was running in a million different directions. I made tortillas, loaded up trays for the servers, got things for guests, and ran food, which is what I’m actually paid to do XD When I got back to my dorm, I finished up a blog post for an interpersonal communications assignment, then went to bed. My anxiety calmed down a decent amount by this point, and I was ready to finish the week strong.

Friday, April 28

The end of a long week! Yoga, Bible, and breakfast in the caf set me up for a good day. In psychology, we finally finished Freud’s section of personality. We start talking about psych disorders next week, which I’m excited about! That’s one of my favorite parts of psychology! My newswriting class was canceled, so I went back to my dorm and worked on stuff before interpersonal communication!

After class, Shelby and I headed to the oval for the spring picnic! It was Western/Southern/Cowboy themed and there was a guy dressed as a cowboy walking around and doing rope and card tricks, which was pretty funny to watch. They had taco stuff where we could make our own, so of course my only options were black beans and cheese but I love black beans so it was all good! We ate and hung out for a while, and even got free tee-shirts, before she headed to class and I went back to my dorm!

Then later I had band! It’s so crazy that I only have one week of classes/rehearsal left before the concert. This semester in band has been awesome, and I’ve loved playing my French horn again.

Then it was time to get dressed and go to work! I worked 4:45-9:15 p.m., and I made a lot of flour tortillas again XD At least my job keeps me busy and I almost always have something to do, which I like! Then I drove back to my dorm, loaded up my car with a bunch of stuff, and drove two hours back home! I don’t usually go home during the weekends (I’ve only done it 3-4 times this semester, counting spring break), but it was Shane’s senior prom so of course I couldn’t miss it! I got to cuddle with my cat, get dressed up fancy (two nights in a row because it was canceled Saturday night due to flooding, and pushed back to Sunday night), go to my home church, and spend time with family and my love ♡

We took some prom pictures by the dam on Sunday and they turned out so good! I’ll be posting more on my Facebook page soon ♡

That was one long, crazy, busy, beautiful week. I am so blessed to be where I am with who I am, and I can’t believe that soon, this chapter of my life will be over. However, the future is looking bright and I can’t wait to experience and write about my summer adventures. Stay tuned ♡

2 thoughts on “A Week in the Life of a College Student at MSSU

  1. Good to read a week in a life of my favorite MSSU TIGER, love your pictures of Shane and yourself at the dam in your prom get-ups!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s